Packing for relocation is best approached with a plan, as it can be a challenge to fit everything in a limited storage space. Packing and stacking your possessions carefully will prevent damage as well as minimize the storage space needed. Here are five great packing tips that will help you get the most out of your storage unit.
1. Store smaller items inside large appliances.
Clean and dry you appliances before they are put away for storage. Nothing should be left behind that will attract pests. For optimum efficiency, store smaller items inside larger appliances such as a refrigerator or stove.
2. Store clothes, bed linen, curtains and drapes on hangers and in chest of drawers.
If you have furniture such as a chest of drawers or cabinet in storage, make use of the drawers and hanging space by storing your clothes, bed linen, curtains and drapes in the compartments. This will eliminate using extra boxes for storing items.
3. Disassemble furniture that can be easily taken apart.
It makes sense to store furniture in as little space as possible. If practical, disassemble the unit, and wrap components such as legs in paper to protect them. Additionally, it is advisable to store larger furniture pieces in boxes. For tables that cannot be disassembled, pad the area where it will be stored and place it upside down on its top. Lightweight chairs can be stored on top of it and minimize space used..
4. Stand sofas and mattresses in an upright position.
Store your sofa and mattress in a standing position. This will help conserve space and save you money.
5. Store your largest items first and stack the heavier items at the bottom. This will allow you to store lightweight items on top and minimize damage.
If you follow these tips you will save yourself time, money and a lot of backaches.